May 5, 2004 — Group recognizes local landmarks — Columbia Daily Tribune: Columbia Historic Preservation Commission recognizes 12 properties: Walter Williams home at 202 S. Glenwood, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity House at 24 E. Stewart Road, The Heidman House at 709 Broadway, Thomas Hart Bento Elementary School at 1410 Hinkson Ave., Sally Flood house at 1620 Hinkson Ave., the house at 2 E. Stewart Road, the Keene School home at 4713 Brown Station Road, The Champlin House at 1312 W. Broadway, the Arch McHarg (not McCard as reported in this article), at 121 West Blvd., The Wabash Arms Building at 821 Walnut St.
Built in 1902, named to the Columbia Historic Preservation Commission’s Notable Properties List in 2004.
This building has housed an academy, a women’s cooperative and a hotel.
This building was not the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity’s first location — it had been housed at 1409 Rosemary Lane in a ca. 1914, 2 1/2 story Colonial Revival building, according to the East Campus Neighborhood Historic District National Register of Historic Places nomination. That building, notes the NRHP document, “was erected to serve as the Sigma Phi Epsilon House, and was home to various “Greek” social organizations into the 1930s,” the nomination notes, “The facade of the house is dominated by a full width portico with two story square Doric columns.”