Jan. 26, 2008 — In historic Columbia, remembering family histories — Columbia Business Times. Summary: Columbia’s Historic Preservation Commission names Most Notable Properties: 1601 Stoney Brook Place, 206 Hitt St., 211 Hitt St., 214 St. Joseph St., 511 Westwood Ave., 211 Westwood Ave., 1115 Locust St., 2011 N. Country Club Drive, 2007 S. Country Club Drive, 509 Thilly Ave.
Feb. 7 2008 — Honoring historic places — Columbia Tribune. Summary: Columbia Historic Commission names Notable Properties including The Belvedere at 206 Hit St., the Beverly at 211 Hitt St., 211 Westwood Ave., 214 St. Joseph St., 509 Thilly, 511 Westwood, Sacred Heart Catholic Church at 1115 Locust St., 2007 S. Country Club Drive, 2011 N. Country Club Drive, 1601 Stoney Brook Place.
This beautiful home at 1601 Stoney Brook Place is reputed to be the oldest home in Boone County. It started out as Boone County’s “poor farm,” a place for the sick or indigent.
You can see this historic home here on OldHouses.com, a site dedicated to “celebrating the glory of historic homes.” This house is not currently for sale, but is in the archives of this site.
A picture accompanies this article published on Feb. 4, 2008 by the Columbia Missourian, marking it being named to the Notable Properties list. Note the article refers to the address as 1601 Stoney Brook Ave., however, Boone County Assessor’s Office records refer to it as 1601 Stoney Brook Place.
This home was built in 1864 according to materials provided by the Columbia Historic Preservation Commission, however, another source notes it was built in 1854. It was named to the Columbia Most Notable Properties list in 2008 — the 100th such designation.
According to information provided by the city of Columbia: “The land was purchased in 1854 by the court from Murdock and Anne Garrett to establish a county infirmary or poor farm for the county’s indigent citizens. The infirmary was erected in 1864 and was maintained by the county until 1898 when the land property was sold to J.B. Turner. This property represents the 100th selection of Most Notable Property by the Historic Preservation Commission.”