The house at 1516 Wilson Avenue, built in roughly 1916, is thought to be the only architecture designed home within the East Campus Neighborhood Historical District nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places.
Jamieson designed many of the buildings on the University of Missouri’s “White campus,” so named for the color of the stone used to build many of those building. Jamieson was involved in the design of Ellis Library, Memorial Union, Mumford Hall, the President’s House and the 1953 renovation of Jesse Hall, among others.
While this home in particular has not been placed on the National Register, it is contained within the confines of the East Campus Neighborhood, which was placed on the Register in 1996.
Yet, the house, in one way is not even on Wilson Avenue.
According to the East Campus Neighborhood nomination for the National Register, “Wilson Avenue was once named Keiser Avenue, perhaps named after J. P.Keiser, who owned land in the area in the late 19th century. The name was changed in the late teens or early twenties, as a result of anti-German sentiments following WWI. The new name could be after Thomas C. Wilson, an early resident of 1507 Wilson, who served as the secretary to the Board of Agriculture in 1912…”
The East Campus Neighborhood nomination includes a detailed description of 1516 Wilson Avenue, ca. 1916; the Walter Miller house.
The document states: “The only house in the district known to have been professionally designed, this two-story Colonial Revival house was built from plans drawn by James Jameson, (sic) an architect who also designed many buildings for the nearby University of Missouri’s White Campus. The large formal house is set facing Wilson Ave. on what were originally two lots oriented to S. William St. It has load bearing brick walls, a brick covered foundation, and a hip roof; it is in excellent condition. The eave line is marked by a wide wooden cornice, and flattened brackets adorn the soffits. The wide facade is divided into three bays. The somewhat off-center entrance bay extends slightly from the plane of the wall; it is topped by an open triangular pediment which is embellished with dentil molding. The front door is sheltered by a small rounded roof which sits on slender Tuscan columns, and matching engaged columns are set against the wall; the front door and storm door have arched tops to match the curve of the roof. Many of the windows are topped by shallow segmental brick arches, and the louvered shutters flanking them are shaped to match. There is an articulated brick string course at the lower edge of the second floor windows which runs around the entire house, and raised brick quoins mark the corners of the main front block of the house and the edges of the central bay. There is a rear ell which is nearly as large as the rectangular front section, resulting in a roughly L-shaped plan. There is a large square veranda off one side wall and a frame rear porch, both original. There have been no major alterations to the exterior, and the grounds are as pristine as the house…”