- Feb. 6, 2012 — Six properties to be honored by Columbia’s Historic Preservation Commission — Columbia Missourian. Includes photographs for the 1928 Harry Satterlee Bill Tudor Revival home in the Grasslands, the 1929 Kappa Kappa Gamma (Sorority) House, Columbia College’s Missouri Hall, and the Columbia Telephone Company building which now houses CenturyLink.
- Feb. 6, 2012 — Arrowhead Motel, Calvary Cemetery highlight ‘most notable’ places — Columbia Missourian. Highlights the history of two of the 2012 Notable Properties, Arrowhead Motel and Calvary Cemetery.
- Feb. 7, 2012– Test your knowledge of Columbia’s notable properties — Columbia Missourian. Photos with test on the six properties named to the 2012 Notable Properties.
Columbia College has four buildings on the Notable Properties list. Here is a 2001 document, The Gates of Change 1851-2001, a Friends Special Sesquicentennial Issue, with some interesting history. Note: The information about J.W. “Blind” Boone’s mother is incorrect. The information instead refers to the mother of John Lange, his manager.
They are Williams Hall, St. Clair Hall, Launer Auditorium and Missouri Hall.
Williams Hall was originally started in 1848 as home for Dr. James H. Bennett, a leading Columbia physician, according to information provided by Columbia College as a part of the nomination process. “Williams Hall is the oldest college building in continuous use for educational purposes west of the Mississippi River,” according to the Columbia College Web site. Once used as a music building, today the building houses administration and faculty offices and classrooms.