Were you too busy to take in the Boone County Stables Tour this past weekend?
Not to worry, the Columbia Historic Homes website has you covered. Here are links to information on the Stephens Stables with photos and history about these stables which were built in 1939 and 1952.
This history is important because first it gives us a window into one of our past industries, the horse industry, second it gives us a peek at something that’s still important in Columbia, Stephens College where women can still major in equestrian studies and finally it’s a place that still offers access to the community via lessons and visits.
- Oct. 17, 2015 — Boone County Historical Society showcases local horse stables. KOMU
- Sept. 17, 2015 — Stables tour aims to benefit historical society — Self-guided tour of five Boone County stables to benefit the Boone County Historical Society. The Stephens College stables were included on the tour. Columbia Daily Tribune.
- Columbia Historic Preservation Commission 1998-2011 – Photo of Stephens Stables in this city report.
- Feb. 15, 2010 —Columbia’s New Historical Properties – Feb 15th, 2010. Video created by the City of Columbia. See Stephens College’s stables at 01:23-2-24 on this video.
- Feb. 12, 2010 — Stephens Stables Named As 2010 Most Notable Property. Press release in The Chronicle of the Horse
- Feb. 3, 2010 — Bricks, graves given ‘most notable’ status. Article on all the 2010 Most Notable Properties including Stephens Stables. Columbia Daily Tribune.
- Feb. 3, 2010 — Notable Properties, Photo/Video. Columbia Daily Tribune.