A billion, with a B. That’s how much historic preservation in Missouri contributes to the state’s gross state product according to a 2002 by the Center for Urban Policy Research, Rutgers University.
Now, the city of Columbia is inviting the public to look over a study designed to tabulate how much local historic preservation benefits the city’s economy.
At 6 p.m. on Tuesday, May 1, 2012, Columbia’s Historic Preservation Commission will hold a public meeting about a study on the economic impact of historic preservation in Columbia, Missouri. The draft executive summary is available online here.
The meeting will be held in rooms 1A and 1B of City Hall at 701 E. Broadway in Columbia.
The draft executive summary includes a table that indicates $79.94 million has been reinvested in historic properties in Columbia since 2002, helping to support an estimated 800 jobs in the city as a result.
This research is being conducted in partnership with a Historic Preservation Fund Grant from the Missouri Department of Natural Resources Historic Preservation Office.
Here’s a link to a Columbia Tribune article on the upcoming meeting.
This report by KOMU notes that Columbia’s Historic Preservation Commission can’t prohibit the demolition of buildings by property owners — but they can delay approving the demolition permit in the hopes of finding a way to work with the building owner and saving a historic structure.
The report quotes Brian Treece, HPC chair, as saying delaying a demolition would also allow fair notice to all concerned about upcoming demolitions.
While the report also notes demolitions are down from last year, it also acknowledges the loss of the Annie Fisher home at 2911 Old 63. The house was used for a catering business founded by Fisher, one of the first African-American woman entrepreneurs in Boone County.
On May 5, 2012, history buffs will be given a two-fold historic opportunity, according to this article by Bill Clark in the Columbia Daily Tribune.
A three-hour concert (!) will be held in the Second Baptist Church at 407 E. Broadway, to benefit the renovation of the John William “Blind” Boone home, which is within sight of the church. The event starts at 1 p.m. and the tickets for the concert performance by Sutu Forte will cost $10 for adults; $5 for students and free for children younger than 12.
Both the Boone home and the Second Baptist Church were named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. The Boone home was placed on Columbia’s Notable Properties List as well.
The Boone home at 10 N. Fourth St., once housed ragtime great John W. “Blind” Boone. He played throughout the country playing what was then a new and lively style of music. He lived in Columbia until his death in 1927. By then, his career of touring to play ragtime music was on the wane, due to several factors including the 1916 death of his most effective manager, John Lange, and the advent of the radio, phonographs and automobile travel.
The Second Missionary Baptist Church was founded in 1866 and the building featuring Romanesque and Gothic styles was built in 1894, according to the church’s website. According to the website, the church construction was funded in part by John Lange, Boone’s manager and Boone, as well as by Judge John Stewart, for whom Stewart Road is named.