The Missouri Theatre opened in 1928 and initially performances included music, a newsreel, cartoon, dancing and a feature film.
Then, over the years, the theatre’s functions changed, featuring only films for a time, then it nearly faced destruction in the 1980s.
This Sept. 11, 2011 article in the Columbia Daily Tribune outlines the many changes of the theatre and its owners.
From 1928 until today, the Missouri Theatre has had many owners as well. When it was named to the National Register of Historic Places, the building was owned by Shirley Stone Cox, according to the nomination form, which outlines the buildings notable features.
Now, the Missouri Theatre is leased by the University of Missouri-Columbia, with an option to purchase it at the end of the three-year lease agreement.
While historic buildings remain, their uses change with the times, but in this case, it seems the use will return to its multiple uses of its origins and its most recent use of a venue for performances, films and music, no longer just a movie theatre, its use from 1953-1983.