The National Register of Historic Places was created in 1966 — only 44 years ago.
Twenty-one places on the National Register are also on Columbia’s Notable Properties list, as of May 2010.
The National Register was designed to help citizens preserve sites important to their own communities. It was created by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, which, according to the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, declared the preservation of historic properties is in the public interest to maintain and enrich the cultural, educational, aesthetic, inspirational, economic and energy benefits for future generations.
Today, it is sometimes its difficult to believe that the National Register of Historic Places is such a recent development because today many people take for granted the concept that preserving our past is a worthy endeavor.
Yet, there are still challenges. Some buildings are still endangered by nearby development, a lack of foresight or simple neglect.
But at least now we have a National Historic Preservation Act and the National Register of Historic Places.
One of the homes on Columbia’s Notable Properties list, the Pinkney home, was designed by the firm of William Bernoudy, an apprentice of Frank Lloyd Wright.
This house is the focus of an article in Mizzou, the magazine of the Mizzoui Alumni Association. The article states Bernoudy built six homes in Columbia and includes a slide show.
Columbia has 19 properties listed on National Historic Register and on the Columbia Notable Properties list.
For example, the David Guitar House, also known as Confederate Hill, is on the list.
The Missouri Department of Natural Resources web site also has detailed information for many of these properties.
The properties on Columbia’s Notable Properties List and on the National Register include:
- John W. “Blind” Boone House, Fourth Street
- Central Dairy Building, 1104-1106 E. Broadway
- Columbia Cemetery, 30 E. Broadway
- Columbia National Guard Armory, 701 E. Ash St.
- East Campus Neighborhood Historic District, bounded by Bouchelle, College, University and High Streets.
- Sanford F. Conley House, 602 Sanford Place
- Samuel H. and Isabel Smith House, 315 N. 10th St., now Koonse Glass.
- First Christian Church, 101 N. 10th St.
- Greenwood Heights, 3005 Mexico Gravel Road
- Hamilton-Brown Shoe Factory, 1123 Wilkes Blvd.
- Maplewood, Nifong and Ponderosa Drive
- Missouri State Teachers Association, 407 S. Sixth St.
- Missouri Theatre, 201-215 S. Ninth St.
- Second Baptist Church, 407 E. Fifth St.
- Senior Hall at Stephens College
- John N. and Elizabeth Taylor House, 716 W. Broadway, now a bed and breakfast
- Tiger Hotel, 23. S. Eighth St., which is now a special events venue
- Virginia Building, 111 S. Ninth St.
- Wabash Railroad Station and Freight House, 126 N. 10th St., now the bus depot for the city of Columbia.
History is everywhere — if you know how to look for it. In Columbia, four schools have been determined to be historical properties and have been named to the Notable Properties list by the Historic Preservation Commission.
Of the four schools, one has recently been closed as a school and only one is named after a writer. The other three are named after political leaders.
Eugene Field Elementary School at 1010 N. Rangeline was named after Missouri native Eugene Field, who worked as a journalist, but is perhaps best known for his children’s poems. The school was closed as a public elementary school in December 2009.
Thomas Hart Benton Elementary School at 1410 Hinkson Avenue was named for one of the first two senators to represent Missouri after it became a state in 1821.
The other two schools are Jefferson Junior High School at 713 Rogers St., and Ulysses S. Grant Elementary School at 10 E. Broadway.
This site now includes a list of the roughly 54 homes named to Columbia’s Notable Properties list by the Historic Preservation Commission since 1998.
Take a look — Columbia’s Notable Properties include a wide variety of styles and ages of homes.