Guitar Mansion at 2815 Oakland Gravel Road will once again be a home. Purchased in October by Elena Vega, in December 2010, the Columbia Missourian published an article on her plans to return the 1860s home to a private residence. It had been operated as a bed and breakfast as well as an event venue.
By the way, you can still take a peek inside, via this Dec. 11, 2009 slide show on the Columbia Tribune’s website. http://www.columbiatribune.com/photos/galleries/2009/dec/11/saving-guitar-mansion/flash/
Dec. 6, 2010, Unexpectedly purchased, Guitar Mansion to be a home again, Columbia Missourian. The link to the article is: http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/12/06/unexpected-owner-guitar-mansion-keep-home/
According to previous news reports, the home had been vacant for several years until Pat Westhoff and Elena Vega bought the historic property on Oct. 18, 2010 at absolute auction for $155,500. The house previously had been on the market for $499,000.
Here are links to the articles about the auction of the property:
Historic Guitar Mansion sold at auction for $155,000, Oct. 19, 2010, Columbia Daily Tribune.
Historic Guitar Mansion sold to surprised bidder, Oct. 18, 2010, Columbia Missourian.
The home at 2815 Oakland Gravel Road was built 1862. The residence of David Guitar, for a time it was called the Guitar Mansion. Much later, the house became known as Confederate Hill.
This Late Victorian Italianate style home was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on Sept. 9, 1993.
After that, the house had since fallen on tough times. Once slated for a bed and breakfast, today the house is sided by subdivisions and on the market at a bargain price – $499,000.
Despite the nearby homes, the landscaping and slope of the home allows you to approach the home and look out the windows seeing it much as it must have looked when it was built between 1859 and 1862.
PAST MEDIA COVERAGE:
August 8, 2004. Visions of the past. Columbia Daily Tribune.
Summary: The Guitar House becomes a bed and breakfast under the ownership of Noel and Mary Ann Crowson. Includes photographs of the restored home, historic photos of Odon Guitar, David Guitar and graphics on the additions to the home from 1859-1940.